I remember back in July opening up Vogue, seeing this stunning Burberry advert and immediately thinking 'I NEED AN AVIATOR JACKET IN MY LIFE!' Unfortunatly, I could not afford the £2,195 Burberry Prorsum beauty, and the high street hadn't started selling any decent reproductions yet. So I scoured the charity shops with high hopes of stumbling across a fabulous leather aviator discarded perhaps by a retired pilot (who preferably was my size), but alas, those hopes were as high as the plane they probably never flew in. I had seen a lot of long length shearling jackets in the charity shops over the years; but they were channeling more of a 75yr old market trader vibe than the Rosie Huntington-Whitely one I aspired after. So it looked like I would have to wait, like the other fashion followers who didn't have a spare two grand knocking about, for the high street copies to come flooding in...Or would I...?!Technically this post is not about charity shop chic, but it is representing second hand clothing in a way; my own clothing, reborn like a phoenix from the ashes. Yes, I made my own Burberry inspired aviator jacket. I knew I had been keeping that horrible old 90's throwback corduroy jacket with faux shearling lining for some reason; it fit like a glove into one of my trusty faux leather jackets. So I tacked them together and here is what they bred...
I am pretty pleased with my little 'make do and mend' product, it may not be an exact replica of the beautiful Burberry piece, but it cost me exactly £0 and I think it can pass itself off as valid aviator jacket...sort of.
Here are Burberry Prorsum and Julien Macdonald's takes on the aviator jacket in comparison...

No comments:
Post a Comment